Thursday, February 15, 2018

Sound Sensitives

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. 

I have typed that one sentence more than any other sentence in my life. I was around nine or ten and just starting to show interest in typing. My dad told me if I practiced that sentence over and over, my speed would increase and I would get very good at typing. 

Needless to say, I typed it over and over on many occasions.

It was true, errors faded and my speed greatly increased. In fact, I had ideas running wild through my young head that if there ever was an Olympic event for typing, I might just bring home to the gold!  My memories of practice are fond ones and I did enjoy it very much. 

When I actually dig into what was so appealing, I know the sounds of the clicking typewriter was one major reason that drew me so much. I found the sounds the typewriter made to be incredibly soothing. Perhaps because my dad was a court reporter and I had often heard these sounds when her worked from home; and I always loved when he worked from home. 

Sounds by Association

Was it the mere association of my dad being home and the sounds the the individual keys made all playing together in concert that made me feel relaxed? Or was it the way the subtle clicking individual keys sounded (and my response to it) that seemed to have no particular rhythm and yet always blended in such a fascinating way? 

Perhaps it was both. 

Perhaps there was also something yet to be identified, discovered and eventually, named. I was born in 1969 so during my childhood and most of my adulthood up until the last few years, there was no name for what I could feel with sounds. 

Additionally, it's not a secret that we often find familiar sounds that gave us comfort as a child, to also be comforting as an adult. But I discovered another reason, at least for me, that makes more sense... 

Sounds Can Physically Feel Good

Sounds are literally vibrations and just as vibrations can put you in a bad mood, they can also uplift and put you in a good mood. I'll be focusing on the good feels because this is my article and my choice. Sounds and vibrations can also do so much more but that is for another time. 

Anyone can train themselves to be sound sensitive. 

I realize that is a big statement and there's also a general opinion that some people simply just can't 'get the tingles' with ASMR for example. If you've never heard of ASMR, let me first give a brief explanation. 

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is defined in Wikipedia as: 

"A term used for an experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. ASMR signifies the subjective experience of 'low-grade euphoria' characterized by a combination of positive feelings and a distinct static-like tingling sensation on the skin." 

In my humble opinion, this 'definition' barely scratches the surface. 

Learning the Language of Sensation

I personally, get physical sensations all over my body and have for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I would describe them as just 'the chills' but as I got more in tune with myself I discovered my body was actually talking to me. 

Learning how to interrupt which signals meant what has been and still is, a learning process. When I listen, I learn faster - when I don't, it's like my body is speaking a foreign language. 

Every person on this planet has the capability to develop this communication skill. But like anything, practice is necessary for self-mastery. It will always be a learning process so choose it, get used to it and you'll fall in love with the process.  

If you have ears and skin and you can hear and feel, you can also feel the sensations from ASMR. Whether or not you need a little practice is another thing. Sounds can trigger feelings of relaxation and anyone is capable of feeling these responses. Unless you are deaf and paralyzed, then thank you for your bravery and I suppose that would count you out from these types of senses.  

Can Everyone Feel ? 

Of course everyone can feel (minus those mentioned above). But why do some people claim they don't get the physical responses from typical triggers? Simple: there's a disconnect between the body and the mind. 

No problem! 

If you want to feel the physical sensations of an ASMR trigger, put your ear plugs or headphones on, go to YouTube and search for a facilitator who's voice or whisper you like. If you don't like any voices, there are plenty of videos that do 'No Voice" or 'No Talking" content. 

Allowing yourself the time to relax and unwind is important. If you have too much stress in your life and you're unable to connect to your body, that is a major sign that you need to slow down and give yourself the gift of YOU. 

Acceptance and Receiving

Time to relax and unwind can be done in so many ways, but allowing yourself to receive this time is also honoring yourself. You are literally saying to the Universe that you're willing to receive. Perhaps meditation is also not easy for you. Most people who say that, are those who are unable to connect with their body as well. 

It's most important that you learn and practice how to connect because then it becomes automatic and natural. You remember that you've always known how to do it and the pleasant joy and peace that your body sends you becomes one of the cooler things you can experience in a body. 

Have I always been sounds sensitive? 

It would appear so and as I recall various times when sounds would trigger pleasant physical sensations, I can say for certain that a lot of my sensitivities were apparent even before I attuned to Reiki; but also significantly increased and began to make more sense in my early twenties. 

Since everyone is different, nobody has the same path for when you open. Therefore, stop comparing yourself to other people saying when you should or shouldn't connect. When your time is right, you will find your way. Trust that. 

My best advice for anyone looking to feel more pleasant sensations and make a direct connection using their body for signals is this: 

1) surround yourself with uplifting sounds. 
2) listen to music that brings you joy and happiness
3) invest in some decent ear plugs or headphones and use them with YouTube content designed to help you relax (ASMR, Meditation, or Hypnosis material). 
4) make time everyday to give yourself inner-time and find your connection to this amazing biochemical suit you call a body
5) get good at identifying sounds that help you and sounds that don't - remove as much of the latter as you can and increase the former. 

If you haven't yet discovered your personal connection between your body and mind, I sincerely hope this helps get things rolling for you. Life is amazing! Be well!